Here is what is new this week:
- In honor of Earth Day, April 22nd, did you know…Garbage will stay in a landfill for about 30 years. Each person throws away approximately 4 pounds of garbage a day. Every ton of paper that is recycled saves 17 trees. Eighty-four percent (84%) of household wast is able to be recycled. Besides, “The earth is the Lord’s & everything in it, the world, & all who live in it.” (Psalm 24:1 NIV84).
- Today I was thinking about butterflies. I was remembering the time I went to a butterfly sanctuary in Canada with some dear friends. I was amazed when one landed on my arm & stayed there, for what seemed like so long, as we continued to walk around. To see one so closely & be able to see the details of the color & pattern on its wings was astounding. Did you know that butterflies taste with their feet? They also cannot fly when they are cold. They need ideal flying conditions which means a body temp of 85 degrees to fly. Butterflies have a life span of 2 – 4 weeks.
- April is a month that celebrates food holidays. This month has been called…..National BLT Sandwich Month, National Florida Tomato Month, National Soy Foods Month, National Garlic Month, National Soft Pretzel Month…to share just a few.
- Did you know that the tulip is the most popular spring flower? It is the 3rd most popular world-wide after roses and chrysanthemums. Tulips come in a wide range of colors, heights, & shapes. There are about 100 species of tulips showing that this is no ordinary flower. Here is an aerial view of a tulip field in the Netherlands taken by Normann Szkop.
- And of course, a commercial to both make you smile & make you think🙂 Every time I see this commercial, this is what comes to mind, “These commandments I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home, and when you walk on the road, when you lie down and when you wake up” (Deuteronomy 6: 6-7 NIV84). Yes, and even when you are teaching your kids baseball.
It has been a good week! Be sure & enjoy the day!